Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fredrick Reynolds










FREDERICK REYNOLDS Birmingham In business in 1892
Not sure how long or when Frederick Reynolds was operating but it's obvious from the above razors that some time was passed between manufacture. The first pictures are from an older and seemingly hand finished razor. While the second is typical of post 1900 finished razors.
While they shave extremely well, they feel quit unlike each other. The first is a heavy bladed razor with a stiffer blade in horn scales. The second, while having the same style grind, is much thinner and lighter, plastic scales finish it off.
I need to dig up the link but I found out what this grind is actually called. For a while it was accepted as a foux frameback. Now it's accepted as the "Rattler" grind. It was discovered in an old barbering manual. I'd love to find a few old books like that :)

2 comments:

  1. There is obviously more to cut throat razors than meets the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yaa :) I'm just glad I'm more user than collecter, keeps the costs down lol. Reminds me I just got a few mid 1800's blades that can't shave anylonger, patch knives comming up :)

    ReplyDelete